Tuesday 3 April 2012

"While I was worthiest of them all . . ." Ali (AS)


He said: Abul Hasan Ali b. Muhammad al-Katib reported to me from al-Hasan b. Ali al-Zafarani, who reported from Abu Ishaq Ibrahim b. Muhammad al-Thaqafi, who reported from al-Masoodi, who reported from al-Hasan b. Hammad, from his father, who reported from Razin Bayya' al-Anmat, who said:

I heard Zaid b. Ali b. Husain, peace be upon him, narrating from his father who reported from his father who said: I heard Amirul Mo'mineen, peace be upon him, addressing the people thus: 

"By Allah, people gave allegiance to Abu Bakr while I was worthiest of them all, together with the attire of mine. But I swallowed my anger, and waited for my Sustainer's will, keeping my chest low to the ground (i.e. adopting a low profile). 

Then Abu Bakr died, appointing Umar as his successor, though he knew that I was the worthiest of them all, together with this attire of mine. But I swallowed my anger and waited for my Sustainer's will. 

Then Umar died and made it an agenda for the consultative committee (al-Shura). He appointed me the sixth among the six members, like the share of the grandmother! And he said: 'Kill the dissenting minority;' and by this he meant no one but me. But I swallowed my fury, waited for my Sustainer's will and kept my chest low on the ground.

Then, the dissenting people did what they did after having sworn allegiance to me; and I had no alternative but either to fight against them or disobey Allah."

(Ref: Al-Amali Shaikh Mufeed : The Nineteenth Assembly : Hadees No.5)

No comments:

Post a Comment